Monday, July 6, 2015

Little Sister's Promise

We were taking one of our bi-yearly trips to visit our families out of state. The toddler was asleep in the car seat. The Man was listening to talk radio. I was beginning "East of Eden". My two big girls were snugging in the backseat. Something Little Sis said to her big sister caught my ear...

"Sis, when you are old, I will take care of you".

I don't know if I have ever heard anything more beautiful come out of her precious mouth. It made this momma's heart feel so much joy and pain simultaneously. As much as I was finding great happiness in that sweet moment, the dark corners of my fearful heart wondered if that would even be a possibility.

 Would Big Sis even live to be an old lady who needs to be cared for by a devoted baby sister? 

It takes great practice to push away those dark thoughts that tend to creep up during wonderful, simple moments. It takes a lot of courage to say to your fears, "I will not be ruled be you". 

I don't read statistics and I take timelines doctors give us with a grain of salt. There were many times we were given more heartache than one can bear, more terrifying facts about medical conditions that a momma and daddy should ever have to know. 

But God is greater still. 

I don't know what tomorrow will bring, let alone 20 years from now. I just want to enjoy every silly story, every little handful of picked flowers, every sweet embrace. 

I want more than anything for Little Sis to take care of Big Sis when she's old. For now, snuggling in the back seat is good enough.